Probably this low rental implies that Ridley had paid for the building to be erected, and in effect this was just a site rent.In addition there were two new cottages for Sir Thomas Cullum's labourers which were not yet occupied.Quick links on this page Enclosure awards 1815 Theatre Royal built 1819 Lenny's map of Bury 1823 Suffolk Hospital opened 1825 Ickworth Rotunda ready 1829 Great Reform Act 1832 Municipal Reform 1835 Pigot's first Directory 1839 St John's consecrated 1842 Rail link to Ipswich 1846 Athenaeum taken over 1854 Corn Exchange built 1862 Fred King starts brewery 1868 BFP moves, EADT born 1874 Henry Prigg's digs 1878 KEGS at the Vinefields 1883 Greene King Brewery 1887 West Suffolk C C 1888 Police in St Johns Street 1892 Foot of Page-Moyse's in 1899 Farm prices began to collapse, and for the next decade farmers would be in financial difficulties.Most of the population still relied on agriculture, even if they were not themselves the landowner or the farmer.
Most of the space was taken up by coal yards in various hands. Sir Thomas Cullum had a Timber Yard, a Coal Yard and a Carpenters Shop.
In 1784 the Reverend Sir John Cullum had published his book on the history of Hawstead.
In 1813 the work was re-published as "The History and Antiquities of Hawstead and Hardwick in the County of Suffolk." Sir John had died in 1785, but the new edition, which was limited to 230 copies, included his own corrections, as well as notes by his brother, Sir Thomas Gery Cullum, and 7 new plates.
This included the Telegraph station on Telegraph Road in Icklingham.
To celebrate the ending of the war the theme for the Bury Festival was the burning of Napoleon's effigy.
This new round of land enclosure would put further pressure on the rural poor, and alter the landscape of the countryside for ever.